PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA delays at LHR - Computer issue
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2017, 22:11
ILS27LEFT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extreme cost cutting?

From BBC:
"The GMB union has suggested the failure could have been avoided, had the airline not outsourced its IT work."
BA denied the claim, saying: "We would never compromise the integrity and security of our IT systems".

I do not trust large corporations anymore, common sense seems to have completely disappeared. Today, well today is another example of total failure of modern management.
I do not know if BA is telling the truth or the Union however I know that BA officially stated cause as a power failure. If this is true then it is totally unacceptable: a power failure cannot cause a total catastrophic IT crash as this one, this is why there are numerous power back-up solutions and BCP plans.
The real problem is the modern top management theory of constant improvements at all costs, indefinitely--->constant reduction of costs, indefinitely--->this brings to total failures (with enormous impact on a Company credibility and financial health) simply because the basics are missed (like a power outage back up) all in the name of beautiful and colourful PowerPoint slides, artificial stats created to earn astonishing bonuses nearly always directly linked to cost reductions (as a % in the best cases!) and therefore we end up with corporate greed as main foundation behind critical decisions.

I would not be surprised if this incredible failure is the direct result of the extreme cost cutting measures of recent months/years, modern management theories can seriously turn against an entire organisation if not correctly managed from the top.
It is quite simple. We cannot keep cutting costs indefinitely and then we are surprised when we suffer this type of failures, it is a Company choice.
A cost cutting exercise can become incredibly expensive indeed.

I still hope that this was not a power outage. it cannot be.

Simply scary.