PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF A380 Engine Fire
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2017, 06:17
Ken Borough

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
provide capacity during the tourist boom and there was very little if anything available worldwide
I always thought that the Company's decision to wet lease was in response to commercial demand. Significant additional flying was scheduled with our own resources but that was insufficient to cope.

Accommodation in Sydney was also extraordinarily tight. Aer Lingus crews slipped at a funny little motel just off Oxford Street but the Martinair crews were accommodated at the Parramatta Parkroyal. I shudder to think what the crews thought but I guess they were happy to be out of the northern winter. I can't remember where TowerAir crew slipped in Melbourne - I think it was a case of 'out of sight, out of mind'.

There was a mild kerfuffle in the middle of the TowerAir lease as the initial aircraft required a check. Their maintenance base was in New York but the aircraft were operated during the lease between MEL and LAX. The two-man band responsible for negotiating the lease was somewhat embarrassed and almost in denial mode when confronted with the awful facts!

Thanks Fris for the photos. I wonder how many 'task forces' Qantas would set up today if similar circumstances prevailed?