PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth incident at Brimpton
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2017, 22:33
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tmmorris
'Incompetence' is a bit harsh - but a reminder to me not to be so quick to rush to judgment in future myself.

Knowing the pilot, which I do, I can see that would be hard to see written about oneself online.

He decided following that incident that the time had come to retire from flying, a decision which I respect.
Agree with your sentiments.

Given that a written checklist in the cockpit of a Tiger would be uncommon and that all checks would be done by memory, I can sympathise with the pilot. There but for the grace of whoever...

The lead up to take off was not standard, tight taxi requiring wing walkers and with him sitting at a new seat height (for a tail dragger TO where attitude perception is far more critical than aircraft with a front propeller protection strut, that can be a big issue) etc all meaning his normal rhythm and preparation would be interrupted and he would be distracted.

Failing to trim correctly for TO was an error yes but I can't throw stones.

I have made similar oversights on more than one occasion - fortunately the bits of swiss cheese didn't line up for me like it did for him.

I read that report and think - if that can happen to a high time pilot then I need to be very aware of things that can put me out of my rhythm. Like him, I am human and make mistakes.

How do I avoid that? (and chanting from a paper checklist in the cockpit of a Tiger Moth would unlikely be the answer). My answer would be hearing stories like that and humbly reminding myself I could have be the bloke in the back seat. So thanks to the Tiger pilot for his honesty. Pilot error yes. Show me a pilot that isn't capable of that.