PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Record
Thread: Military Record
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2017, 16:36
MPN11

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts
OK, that has been a VERY interesting read. It revealed things I knew, and things I didn't know, and things about some people reporting on me that surprised me.
  • I was a bit of an immature prat as a plt off/fg off. OK, I knew that, but they accepted I was good at my job.
  • Identified as ambitious. Is that a bad thing?
  • I matured rather later than I thought. Oh, well, I think I've almost got there now.
  • I annoyed people more than I realised, by being intolerant and over-assertive in the earlier years. Ooops.
  • A couple of 1st ROs that I though would have slagged me off were actually quite complimentary.
  • Air Officers as 2nd or 3rd ROs [and even 4th] provide an interesting filter to what had been said previously!
  • On my last MoD tour, the late Lord Garden noticed I had lost interest ... but never enquired why. I told him at my [brief] farewell interview when he was ACAS.
  • On that same tour, the Scottish One Star lied, and did NOT debrief me on my shortcomings.
All in all, quite enlightening from a self-analysis POV. A summation of 29 years.
Originally Posted by R Burns
O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
RAF Disclosures did that for me

I think I'm glad I did it, and some ROs have actually risen in my estimation. I just wish that they had been more detailed, and constructive, in some of their debriefs instead of just putting it down on paper.

A bit late to change now!!