PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF A380 Engine Fire
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2017, 22:58
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Fris B. Fairing
Ken

There were a couple of Aer Lingus 747-100 leased in around the time that QF also had the Tower Air 747 N93117 and the Martinair DC-10 PH-MBT. The rego EI-BED springs to mind but I think there were several aircraft involved in the lease.

VH-EEI was a real dog and I seem to recall the Fiji Prime Minister getting involved and asking for another aeroplane.
I think the Martinair aircraft was actually PH-MCF which was painted in a hybrid Qantas livery... Martinair red cheat line and black Qantas titles, red tail with wingless kangaroo. Could hear it coming from a mile off with its whiny GE CF6s.

Aer Lingus actually had an aircraft registered EI-EIO. A freighter I believe, same as when I was in Ireland and driving up a road with 'S L O W' painted across the road, then a bit further up 'S L O W E R'.

VH-EEI was a Boeing 747-123, originally delivered to American Airlines in the early 70s when nearly all the US majors briefly operated 747s (DL, TW, AA, EA - some leased from PA). One of her sister ships ended up being a Shuttle Carrier for NASA and carried the AA tricolor cheat line for years afterward. Even model kits had the AA strip on the decals.

Last edited by AerialPerspective; 24th May 2017 at 23:01. Reason: add text