PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What costs does/should your employer cover?
Old 23rd May 2017, 22:32
Flyboy1987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ixixly
Flyboy, anytime that a Full Time Employed Professional who uses their money responsibly finds themselves in a situation where $200-$300 expenses a couple times a year is hitting them hard, really says something about their pay level!
Yep, and I get paid the award!
I don't want this thread to be "what we deserve to get paid", I think we can all agree the award pay scale isn't great, but it is what it is.

I understand operators not wanting to pay upfront costs on the chance of a pilot soon leaving, but this is what our industry is. Most of us, myself included, loves flying, and I really do enjoy GA, to the point where I wouldn't chase an airline job if I could make a similar income in ga.

I was a tradesperson in my previous career, my company never kept apprentices on after training, never. The first 12 months of an apprenticeship I was basically carrying around the tradesmen's tool bag, adding absolutely no value to the business for the first 2 years, in that 2 years maybe made 50k.
So I guess that was 50K down the drain for my boss, which he sees no return as no apprentices were retained? Different industry, but investing money into kids and possibly seeing no return is the norm?

Last edited by Flyboy1987; 23rd May 2017 at 22:49.