PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What costs does/should your employer cover?
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:07
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going back in the topic a little bit...

ASIC's, medicals, and required charts could be considered as fixed cost tools of trade. This is the same way my own trade background required i had certain 'tools' of my own to use.

These required constant replacement due wear and tear, so we were paid a Tool allowance each week in our pay (not subject to super or leave loading etc)

Instead of flat out paying for a pilots ASIC etc, you can say, you arrive with current credentials, and we will pay you a 'Compliance Allowance', of X dollars per week, to be used to renew those credentials. That way if they nick off after 4 months, you have only paid 4 months 'value' on those items.
It also works well tax wise as both sides can claim a deduction. (it's also not subject to payroll tax)

I come from an industry that struggles to train their workers in the latest technology outside of their apprenticeship, but i have been bonded to an employer once before for my LPG fitters ticket. They paid for the course and initial licence issue, I agreed to stay for 12 months. It was done correctly and pro-rata'd. After the first 12 months, my tool allowance was increased and i was expected to pay for my own licence renewals.

The new company, that i sub-contract too, have agreed to pay for my ASIC renewal.....no bonding, but my investment to have the contract ensures i am not going anywhere in a hurry.