PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What costs does/should your employer cover?
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:47
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Metro Man, this does raise an interesting point that I've discussed with friends before. Let's say there as an operator, whom at the time of you applying had no jobs available as they simply weren't hiring. If a Pilot was to offer to work a couple of days a week helping out behind the counter, doing the lawns, clean the hangar etc... in return perhaps for some ICUS, exposure to their operations and therefore being first in line for a Full-Time job when it comes up, how would you view that?

Personally I think this wouldn't be such a bad idea. You haven't taken a job off anyone and the choice is entirely yours without screwing anyone else?

A lot of people say that "Working for free is the worst thing you can do" which I find to be a very sweeping statement that doesn't take into account all variables.

My first hours were with a Skydiving Operator, I didn't get paid for it, but I got some flying hours, met some awesome people and didn't regret anything about it and certainly don't feel bad at all, it was also a very small operation compared to most that operated weekends only, reinvested its money back into itself and no one was really making any money.