PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What costs does/should your employer cover?
Old 23rd May 2017, 06:16
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
You're exactly right Horatio, as was discussed in the other Thread it's undoubtedly one of the biggest reasons why Employers are hesitant to give new guys a go when they need to be trained because of that uncertainty. It's exactly why I think there should be a big push to have an amendment made to the Pilots Award to allow for a Bond that is legally binding and reasonable. Of course the Pilots Award can't tell you exactly what to do but it could include some provisions in there to help both parties decide what is fair and reasonable to include in the costs. There will also be intangible costs that are difficult to allow for, perhaps such a clause would allow for a 10% "Misc" cost that can be added on to allow for this? For example after you add up the costs you know about being required you then tack on the 10% allowance.

TankEngine, that would be because Qantas Pilots operate on an EBA and obviously that wasn't apart of the EBA that is signed and used, little bit different, not to mention if they were on Award chances are they'd be paid "Above Award" which means that with the "Better Off" test that would be applied they'd still come out as earning above the minimum.

IFR Renewals can be tricky I think, it depends if you're required to actually have it or not. I know of at least one large school where they don't pay for people to have their IPCs done (Unless they're designated as an IFR Instructor), but if they get it done then they can try to utilise it with the organisation, basically they say "We don't REQUIRE you to have one....BUT if you do..." definitely sits in a grey area there, I'd be interested to see what they'd say when no one does it off their own back and suddenly they require someone to do some IF Flying, say on a charter or something.

Holding Again, I think what Horatio said really boils down to "How long is a piece of string?". I'd like to see a time when it really comes down to what you and employer would decide on a contract, I'd think something like a King Air Endorsement would take about 2-3years for the Employer to get value for their training so likely a bonding period would be for that long, if you leave before then, then you pay it back Pro rata.

Of course with a Bond there would be people whom would try to take advantage of Pilots by way over charging for it, but then they would be required to have a detailed break down of costs to show to the relevant Authorities if pulled up and asked to "Please explain!".