PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stolen baggage/opened bags
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2003, 15:49
Memetic
Supercalifragilistic
expialidocious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK customs

About 4 years ago on arrival at my hotel in Paris I saw that the loops on the zips, used to run the padlock through, had been cut from my luggage. It was obvious that somone had tried cutting the padlock hasp and given up.

Nothing seemed to be missing but the case had obvioulsy been gone through.

Called the airline to report it in case I subsequently realised anything was missing, they suggested I call customs as it was most likley thier officers.

I decided to start with the HM Customs- my French beiing a bit weak (!). The very polite gentleman there said, "I can assure you that this was not our officers, it essential that our officers can open and search any case on the market without leaving a trace and is a matter of professional pride that we do so." He added that he was confident that his collegues in French customs were equally profesionally adept.

Nicely put I thought!

So is subtley just not an option for the TSA? Perhaps they have to rip open a quota of bags to be seen to do their job and make us all feel secure?

I appreciate the TSA and customs are different services. But whatever the agency surely it is just a matter of training and a big bunch of keys...