PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS contract plane off runway - KCRW
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2017, 19:07
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aterpster
Perhaps there was an issue with the airplane's DME. Otherwise the LOC Rwy 5 would have been a far better choice. Or, with that slight wind, the ILS 23 would have been an even better choice, no DME required.
And, if they didn't have DME, mins for the VOR-A are 120 feet higher at 739 feet above airport elevation. With a reported 500 foot ceiling.

Visibility was 10 miles so the approach was legal for any category. Is the SD-330 category B (max speed 135 knots) for circling perhaps?

Also, these are circle-to-land-only minimums (that's why it's VOR-A, not VOR Rwy 05), which have their own set of traps for the unwary. And, the final approach course radial is 31 degrees different than the runway center-line.

All in all, quite the non-precision IAP.
These deadly circling approaches in less than VFR weather have been abandoned in the ops specs by most Part 121 air carriers for many years now. Recent type ratings given by those carriers have the limitation (sometimes called 'training wheels') 'CIRC APCH - VMC ONLY'. And yes, circling is supposed to be a visual maneuver so I'll let others hash out the VMC-VFR definitions.

We don't know where the flight came on to the TRACON's radar. Perhaps the position favored least remaining track miles to Runway 5. Presumably, we will find that out, or perhaps someone already has.
Piedmont 4825 was departing runway 5 just prior to SNC 1260's arrival. SNC 1260 was told to expect the localizer to runway 5 at 7:20 into this LiveAtc.net clip:

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kc...2017-1030Z.mp3

The audio is not great and it sounds like the VOR-A was requested by the SD-330 crew from the context. As aterpster observed, DME is required for the LOC Rwy 5 but not for the VOR-A.

Originally Posted by Zaphod Beblebrox
I will make this observation, at the risk of over generalizing.... This flight was operated under FAR part 135, (I think), and therefore not subject to the ATP requirement for passenger Part 121 operations in the US.
There is indeed a pilot with a name similar to that of the first officer with a commercial license and a current Class I medical listed at a New Hampshire address in the FAA Airmen database.