PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two advantages of a plotting chart?
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2017, 07:47
500 above

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems to me to still be a big thing in the bizjets based on the responses I have seen in this and other threads.
Possibly because many bizjet pilot's don't generally cross the pond that often? Belt and braces possibly - although, granted, it could all be done on an ipad.

Every single bizjet international procedures recurrent I've done at FSI for example, the instructor emphasizes the use of a paper plotting chart, ten minute plots etc. to avoid GNE's. In reality this could all be done on the ipad.

In my current type, everything is on the ipads (which were given by Gulfstream with the new aircraft, are 'sterile' and not used personally) so I don't see electronic plotting charts to be an issue either - although, my last crossing (last month) was plotted on paper.

From the latest North Atlantic ops and Airspace Manual (chapter 8)

c)
it is advisable to provide pilots with a simple plotting chart of suitable scale (1 inch equals
120 NM has been used successfully on NAT routes) in order to facilitate a visual
presentation of the intended route that, otherwise, is defined only in terms of navigational co
-ordinates
Don't see a requirement for paper in there.

Last edited by 500 above; 5th May 2017 at 08:02.