PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 26th Apr 2017, 06:47
cavok_flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no magic solution that fits to everyone

That being said. what I (50 years old, so the majors are not an option) worked out as an end goal: Freelance pilot (CPL/IFR MEP) with a FI rating. To reach this goal I chose the modular route since I can work and train at the same time. Figured 50K Euros by the time all is said and done, over 4 years. Making a per year investment of 12,500€ (about 1000€ per month) and I hope for a ROI of about 10% on that inverstment when I retire. I have a good paying job, flexible work hours, solid family support, and the drive to get it done. BUT MY SITUATION IS NOT LIKE ANYONE ELSES. My advice, sit down, do the math, work out how many hours you need (145 hours for PPL = 100 Theory + 45 flying, 650 ATPL Theory, 50 hours IFR flying time time, CPL 15 flying hours, MEP + MEP IFR 11 hours, FI 115 hours theory and flying).

When you work out the costs, add at least 10% for any extras (maps, headphones, landing fees, beers with FI) or unexpected issues. There is no magic solution, but if you sit down, analyze, and try to work out plan, you will definitely be further ahead than the folks who just dive in without thinking.

Last edited by cavok_flyer; 27th Apr 2017 at 06:03.