PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2017, 21:34
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LTNMan,

Try being positive!
I view the airport from the eyes of the passenger so this is worth a read. Now tell them to be positive.

http://www.airlinequality.com/airpor...luton-airport/

A few years ago you laughed me off for suggesting that LTN had every right to be the UK's 5th busiest airport and here we are with that scenario!
Luton has been the 5th busiest airport since 2014, before that it was neck and neck with Edinburgh for many years so if that is the case you have a good memory then because I don't remember laughing you off.

I told you that EasyJet would double it's fleet from 15 A/C and again you suggested I was talking rubbish but here we are and they now have 23 A/C based at LTN with three years to bring just an extra 7 A/C on line!
I don't remember that either but again if that is the case you could be right and I could be wrong

When I suggested a couple of years ago the airports growth would be the eastern side no one listened! But trust me, LTN's growth will be based on the eastern side without penetrating its perimeter fence!
Being positive the mass transit system is facing in the right direction. With a pending second parallel taxiway being built next to Delta both the taxiways could be dug up in turn for a cut and cover tunnel.

Being negative the long term car park is built on a council tip which would need to be dug out. They are not my words but from a council planner who said that while buildings can be built on the tip with piled foundations you can't do that with an apron. The car park is not that big to support a second terminal and new aprons plus its own road network and car park. I can't say it won't happen as it is the only land available inside the airport boundary but if it was to happen now is the time to announce it as Luton could be full in a couple of years.

The alternative is a satellite terminal linked to the main terminal. That would mean more passengers in the existing terminal and more cars entering the CTA. I just can't see that happening.

LTN Airport in my view and I state as someone with 35 years experience as a flyer and as someone who has experienced every other London Airport-has a fantastic future not yet realized!
Most here are more interested in new routes and hopefully more airlines than the state of the infrastructure and overcrowding which is fine if that is all they are interested in. Maybe I take a unique approach to Luton having links to the airport over many years. Because of this I have wide eyes and I see what is going on and the short cuts the airport takes to save a bob or two. Mainly they are little things that make a subconscious difference. Much of it is to do with the finish and the type of materials of the final product and the overall customer experience. Some of it is to do with poor design decisions that will hopefully be corrected.

There are plenty of things to look forward to. The completion of the mass transit system and hopefully 4 non stop trains an hour from London will be a game changer but with 18 million passengers probably already using Luton by the time it opens we will have to see how much of a game changer it becomes. If there is spare capacity full fare airlines might like the quick access and ease of passage to London and beyond compared to Stansted but Luton will have nothing else to offer them which full fare passengers would expect from an airport like airbridges.

Yes the airport is heaving, it has been incredibly successful and I have seen nothing like it at Luton before but the airport could do so much better if it tried just a little bit harder, which is why I will always speak out if something is not quite right, as well as heap praise when good things happen.

Now here is that link again and why Luton must try harder. http://www.airlinequality.com/airpor...luton-airport/

Last edited by LTNman; 24th Apr 2017 at 22:16.