PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two advantages of a plotting chart?
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2017, 13:51
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RMC
Plotting charts approved in ICAO 007.

Ipads have not been certified for use in UK registered aircraft. The process for certification of commercial equipment is long and very expensive (before you install a £300 bit of IFE in an exec aircraft you will pay in excess of £10,000 for all the required testing). Significant kind of stuff like flammability / battery fire risk etc.

Like I said this kind of system is the future no doubt.....but I always consider what I am going to say to the investigator when the **** has hit the fan as my start point.
From our ops specs....

"_____ airlines is authorized to use an electronic flight bag as described in the following airplane types: All

Hardware of EFB system: Class 1 - iPad (2 and later)
Software application: Jeppesen FliteDeck Pro: (including Terminal Charts, En-Route Charts, Jeppesen Airways Manual).
Authorized to Replace Paper Documents: Yes"

I will show this to the investigator.

Meanwhile, we also have Class 3 EFB's installed in the aircraft(as delivered from the manufacturer) which have video camera views, company publications, Takeoff and Landing performance calculation capability, various apps such as conversion calculators and timers, approach plates, nearest airport function, and enroute moving map display with ownship symbol also can be used as plotting charts and we do in fact manually enter the route into this which gives us a secondary view of where we are, just like a plotting chart.

I think you might be operating without the latest authorized methods in use globally.

As for paper plotting charts...wouldn't mind trying it once on an oceanic crossing but that would be enough.

Last edited by JammedStab; 25th Apr 2017 at 00:30.