PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two advantages of a plotting chart?
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2017, 03:19
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RMC
Is the app certified, is the method of verifying no corruption of data when transferring from flight plan to app verified. What is the contingency procedure for signal failure (which I have seen plenty of times with ipad loction).BTW...not denying this is the probably going to be the way forward....but in my company ipads are not certified for in flight use as primary aircraft equipment.
Apparently it has some sort of certification...

"Jeppesen iPad Apps Approved by EASA"
The European Aviation Safety Agency on November 15 made available the results of its electronic flight bag (EFB) technical evaluation which should speed the final approval by local civil aviation authorities of Jeppesen’s new Flight Deck Pro and Mobile TC Pro apps for iPad and iOS. The EASA approval tumbles a significant hurdle for the Boeing Flight Services unit to gain the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) approval needed to sell the new technology to European airlines. The new EFBs can be used in most all phases of flight depending upon individual operations specifications."

I suppose the method of verifying no corruption of data upon transfer is the same as verifying no mistake when using a pen or pencil to transfer information. Look at it and double check that it is correct(and it is more likely that a mistake will be made by the pilot marking down incorrect info.

I doubt that the gross navigation error rate has increased with electronic ipad charts.

No need for worry about signal failure, it is a copy and paste function to transfer info.

Not sure if a paper plotting chart has any official certification but if you can find it, it would be interesting to see.

Originally Posted by RAT 5
Plotting charts also give an improved SA about your en-route alternates. Given some guys fly 2 or 3 hr diversion times, I suspect the airfield circle will be off MAP on the ND. And, as has been discussed, and ETOPS diversion might need to be to 'nearest suitable' not necessarily the further ETOPS allowed ALTN. Sitting over the middle of nowhere, day or night, without having an idea in which direction & how far your bolt hole is, IMHO is not as professional s it could be.
The Jeppesen Flightdeck Pro app map portion also allows you to enter whatever airports you like for situational awareness.