PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows display cancelled due to airspace infringement (merged)
Old 26th Aug 2003, 19:07
Genghis the Engineer

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
A correction if I may Mike. AIC (and until recently, ANs) are sent to registered owners of aircraft with a CofA. CAA does not send them to owners of either microlights or gliders (that's about 1/4 of all aircraft in UK airspace). (ANs now aren't sent to anybody, you are expected to look it up on the web too.)

And a thought, I personally regard NOTAMS as "weather", that is things in the sky that may affect my safe flying, and are bookmarked on my web browser accordingly. Now weather information is certainly more easily, cheaply and widely available than NOTAM information - okay, that's at-least partly because far more people than just aviators are interested in weather.

However, two main sources of Wx for aviators are ATIS and VOLMET. Although it might add, say 30 seconds onto the ATIS tape and a minute or so onto the VOLMET tape, I don't think that many people would find that unacceptable. If, say, each station transmitted NOTAMS (and of-course purple/sparrows data) for a fixed radius determined to ensure that we have complete UK coverage, then we could dial up before flight on radio or phone, or by RT, and equally call up NOTAMS en-route if considering a diversion. For that matter anybody planning a local trip should be able to get all the information they need from their base ATIS.

Worth exploring perhaps? Speaking as somebody who does often fly from grass-strips in the middle of nowhere, I'd use the facility - even more so if the met office can be persuaded to stop using a premium rate number for Volmet!

Expanding upon that thought slightly, if you look at the LARS coverage diagram - that only runs to 30nm radius and gives very wide coverage - presumably all the LARS servicing airfields provide ATIS and tying LARS and NOTAM coverage would simplify the issue of understanding where to go for information.

G