PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft "unsure of position" over the Channel
Old 26th Aug 2003, 11:54
Onan the Clumsy

I'matightbastard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta say I agree with Miserlou. GPS is like a PC, it'll do all sorts of wonderful things, but it needs a certain...dedication...to figuring out first how to use it. It took me a while to get to grips with my Garmin 295. I still have only the vaguest of ideas how to use my brother's 430.

Here's a story I got from Alexander Kent's biography. One of his squadrons (hurricanes) was being reviewed and the officer asked how they would find their way home if they were lost. The answer he got was "We put our squadron number on the compass and fly in that direction."

The officer was understandably confused, but figured it out when he realised that it was a Free Check unit, so communications were not easy, plus all of Kent's units were numbered between 330 and 360...The point being that if you were lost, heading North (or South) is probably enough to get you out of trouble. East and West would be bad. Might not get you to the correct airport, but it'll get you away from the water.

Just to even out my response...Do GPS units now have a horizon? Though I have yet to get one in my hot little hands, I think the 196 does.