PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two advantages of a plotting chart?
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2017, 16:38
alosaurus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two advantages of a plotting chart?

Fairly new to flying Oceanic and my company procedure is to use plotting charts. Happy to do that despite a small number of ex KLM Quantas and GSS instructors who are adamant that plotting charts are a 30 year old relic.

The two main justifications (apart from SOP adherence) appear to be

1- An FMS typing ability check .....if lat and longs entered incorrectly the chart would (eventually) show you are off track.

( I wonder also if with the lido flight planning system it is possible for the ATC flight plan info to be incorrectly transferred onto the flight log)?

2- That you have an awareness of the heading to turn onto in the event of a forced descent perpendicular to all the NAT tracks ( we fly random routes above tracks).

The no chart brigade counter

1- that the thickness of a pencil line is greater than the new GNE 10NM distance....so it would be too late by the time you noticed it....and that ADS would mean a message from the ground would be sent to you before then ( although I'm not sure what level of track deviation this represents...mini GNE.).

2- That entering it into route page two or keeping a copy of the sig weather / NAT track overlay also covers this.

Interested in views from across this spectrum.

Last edited by alosaurus; 15th Apr 2017 at 16:40. Reason: Typing error��