PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 15th Apr 2017, 11:27
Ryanaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Success stories

Hi all,

I don't think there's a specific thread for this, apologies if there is. I'm a newbie, about to start a PPL on the modular route to the cockpit. I'm mid 30s to time isn't particularly on my side.

I'm just interested in pilots posting here with real success stories on who they fly for and how they got there. Mainly modular students but also integrated too to balance up the argument.

The reason I'm tentative about starting down this path is a) Deciding which is the best route but also b) from reading this forum, is it really worth the investment to do it at all?

Some lead you to believe that the world will be your oyster once you have a fATPL and others seem to suggest it's largely irrelevant because if you don't have an extra £25k to pay an airline for TR then you won't get a job anyway.

I'm wondering how ethically sound the whole industry is when you have to pay someone to give you a job. I have the means through success in my other career to fund training to an extent but my fear is that I'd get priced out of the market by all the rich 18 year olds with bottomless pockets. I think the industry realises that money is no object for many pilots.

I'm passionate about achieving this goal but it cannot be at 'any cost'. Investing life savings into something isn't something I'm going to take lightly so any positive spins on this would be most beneficial.

Also any insights into re-occurring costs would be great. I.e say I have a fATPL and don't get employment, do I have to re-validate every year and pay thousands whilst waiting for that job? I realise the medical needs renewing every year too.

Lots of questions and still no clear path!