PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Direct Entry FO
Thread: Direct Entry FO
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2017, 16:24
Luggage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ADFUS
So is the SO job?

So what? After a few years in the back they get to fly. I don't understand why this is such a sore point for you.

edit:

So why don't United/American airlines pilots do that job? Something to do with money? Na can't be cheap labour.
Hahahaha you dimwit, its called scope!! Try looking it up, you know nothing about the US market.

The only way into a US major is thru a regional airline (some military get direct entry) otherwise you will not get in.

The regionals fly the routes thru a contract with the US majors, however SCOPE only allows up to a certain size aircraft/number of seats at the regional and do you want to know why?...

It is to prevent cheap labour you numbskull!! It stops the regional buyiing A320/757 and flying those routes for those aircraft while undercutting pilot salaries at the majors...hence protection from cheap labour whilst still getting the regional airports serviced and pilots getting good experience on jets.

Even though I had A320 experience I had to join a regional when I got here as thats the way it is and I am grateful for the opportunity and flying I have done.

As for your SO flying many years later you want to know why I have a problem with it...err they dont fly!!! 4 years later an RJ FO has built up 3000 plus hours of actuall jet flying and you think an SO is the same thing, are you demented!!

Cant wait to put my family on a plane with an SO taking over due to pilot incapacitation with his 5 years of monitoring...wow we should all be so lucky!!

Sure his flying skills will be top notch. That 35 - 40 knot cross wind landing will be a breeze for him to handle, you know the type us RJ pukes deal with in Chicago (windy city) on a regular basis but hey, what do I know. Im not an experienced CX Pilot Sky god!!