PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Direct Entry FO
Thread: Direct Entry FO
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2017, 15:30
cxorcist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with Luggage on most of this. CX is a toxic Petri dish when it comes to flying skills. This rears its ugly head time and again when we are asked to fly a visual approach with nothing more than a PAPI, or God forbid, the CRI VOR 13L without full RNP AR automation.

Face it colleagues, CX pilots' hand flying skills suck. Turning off the flight directors and A/T only happens above 1000' once every blue moon. I personally try to do it more often, but it usually gets the PM very nervous even after having briefed it and I hardly ever see that from others.

The 3:1 rule seems lost on most of our younger pilots. Many have no clue what energy state / altitude they should be at for given distances. They're just relying on the VNAV path. Did they ever learn it, or have they just forgotten or become too task saturated for it?

Luggage is right. We aren't very good, and certainly not proportional to the egos we read on here. Most of us could use some "regional" time to sharpen up, and especially our lesser experienced colleagues who never flew it in the first place.