PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 172 pro-active familiarisation for PPL
Old 14th Apr 2017, 10:59
AirWaterloo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cessna 172 pro-active familiarisation for PPL

As I posted in this post I am starting up for a PPL/CPL training. I found, on the internet, that the Cessna 172 is a very popular training plane and hence I want to familiarise myself up-front with this plane. The school I have in mind (Fly-in-Spain) has these Cessna's.

I have an x-plane simulator license (v.11) since yesterday with a standard Cessna 172 in it. My questions to people that may have done the same are as follows:

1) I would like to download the REAL documentation of the Cessna 172 and use it one-on-one with the simulator to learn to understand each instrument so that when the real instructor guided lessons start it isn't all new and overwhelming. I also want to start using the correct vocabulary from the start and not my own newbie terms.

2) Is there anyone who knows of a possible better (newer/better resolution/more complete/etc) Cessna 172 version for x-plane v.11. I am prepared to buy the better stuff and do things right. In the end all this 'amatory-grade' simulator tools are cheap compared to NOT be prepared and having to take exams all over or forcing your instructor into several extra hours of training because you have no clue what he is explaining.

3) Last but not least, are there Cessna 172 options to consider? With a car you have options and I suppose that is also the case with a plane. I prefer to learn to much then not enough (i was thinking radio/information systems/GPS/etc). In that case what are the options one should look for (I mean prepare for). I am of course not talking about tissue or leather seats type of options

4) Can someone tell my why glass cockpits are important? Schools seem to have them. Is there any use for that in simulators or is this only for extra visibility for VFR training?

Many thanks.