PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Direct Entry FO
Thread: Direct Entry FO
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2017, 21:42
Luggage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cxorcist
Very true, Luggage. However, RJ pilots, in general, are doing the same thing SOs are doing. Working cheap, trying to build good time, all in hopes of better things in the future. The upside for RJ pilots is that they can choose from a plethora of hiring airlines. Not so for SOs, they are locked in at CX for at least 5 years before they get any relevant experience. By then, the RJ pilot is long since a captain but still doesn't have a seniority number anywhere. The SO has a seniority number at CX, which used to be worth something. Now? I'm starting to wonder...
Well I sort of agree with you on the money side but with a different outlook. An RJ pilot on an ERJ175 does the EXACT same job as an A320/330 pilot but for less money flying into airports a 320 cant always go however RJ pilots also fly in and out of major airports like ORD, DFW, LAX, LGA, DCA etc.

Their flight time and experience is not worth anything less than a 737/747 pilots time and have certainly earned their stripes but for less money. The options available to them should be better than an SO, they do a real world flying job and dont buy their way into jobs like European pilots do with P2F and buying 500 on type (no time for those losers either).

An SO could have become an RJ pilot and got real first hand left and right seat experience on a twin jet with an MTOW of 40 tons plus, just as good as a 320 or 737. However they chose to become an SO doing nothing and gaining nothing but sitting in a jumpseat or RHS at FL370 over the Pacific...MONITORING!!

I have experience flying RJ and A320 so I know both worlds and RJ guys are some of the best pilots I have ever come accross. The workload is incredible and they get some of the best hands on experience I have ever seen.