PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EP-3 Hainan Incident 2001
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2017, 18:43
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,603 Likes on 735 Posts
When I were a Fg Off at 280SU in Cyprus I were OIC Docs. We had quite a few cabinets; when during the Turkish kerfuffle they shut down Gata they shipped everything the had up the hill - there was no proper check and the then OIC refused to sign for them - but they left them anyway.

4 years later CENTO was folding and a signal arrived saying all such docs had to be treated at one level above their face classification - which meant I now had a cabinet of TS docs. Problem - we had nowhere to store them and I wasn't cleared to read or check them.

After intense discussion with Episcopi - decision, destroy them all and date the day before signal. Result! So start page checking and find dozens of missing pages and amendments. Pull out drawers and find lots of additional bits and pieces at back - Stn Cdr 's eyes-only*, etc etc.

I had weekly visits by the plods from Episkopi over the following weeks and months as I checked more and more of the documents - they trying to pin everything on me because I should have picked everything up in the one day I signed for them and me pointing out where many of the errors had occurred years before.

It was eventually all swept under the carpet - but they did come back for me years later on other more personal matters - but that's another story.

*Such as a book of lists of prohibited organisations of which serving personnel had to be reported as being members.