PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows display cancelled due to airspace infringement (merged)
Old 25th Aug 2003, 18:20
chrisN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think there is a viable excuse for glider (or microlite) pilots to not read NOTAM data before going on a cross country flight. It can be done relatively easily once one is used to the system, much improved through Mike Cross's and others' efforts, though still far from perfect, and yes, the graphical data would be a big help.

I pull a list of NOTAM's (OK, PIB, to be pedantic) using Narrow Route option for my gliding club each flying day. It runs to about 2-3 pages worth (not the 31 pages I have heard of others getting, including a mention on the other thread started about this Red Arrows infringement). I then filter out warnings about Iraq flights, unusable comms and nav things etc., bird of prey training. I am left with a list about 1/2 to 1 page long - e.g. today there are 5 things worth noting in Suffolk and Norfolk.

This process takes about 5-10 minutes.

I don't look at AIC's - I no longer am able to have paper ones sent to me, apparently (they just stopped coming years ago) and no way am I going to trawl through every AIC on the AIS website, even if I could find them, to see what is a daily nav warning - that's not the right place for such data.

My standard narrow route to cover a decent local gliding area is Cambridge to Great Yarmouth (ECSC-ECSD), 40 miles wide, FL 40. It picked up an event in Hornchurch, Essex, today, among other things.

On a good gliding day with long distances possible to the North for instance, I put in a diversion to Sheffield or somewhere like that. (From my club, all long flights tend to be northerly.)

The output from all this is posted up in our briefing room for any local glider pilot to see. Any other gliding club could do the same - or indeed any individual with internet access (not all have).

Chris N.