PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Port Hedland AFIS wind back
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2017, 22:45
Lead Balloon

Received 447 Likes on 226 Posts
If it's your first time in a while, hopefully you look at ERSA ....
No need to hope. I look at ERSA (and MET and NOTAMS) for every aerodrome I fly to every time.
.... and think what's this AFIS business and give them a call and ask.
I know what "AFIS" stands for.

It's a service.
If that didn't happen, hopefully your composite chart gives you the CTAF frequency which you call up at say 10nm or whatever. Someone responds, says traffic is xxx (or no traffic), confirm you have received info xxx which you haven't because you didn't know about it.
No need to hope. I'll see that ERSA says "CTAF - ARFU 119" and I'll be monitoring that frequency from 40/50nms away (as well as the Area frequency).

The point is that to people who don't visit these places very often and are used to composite EFB charts that depict every charted boundary associated with a mandated procedure, YPPD 'looks' like a CTAF with no mandatory Broadcast Area.

Depending on what traffic I heard on the CTAF and my ETA, I might stumble into inadvertent compliance by making a call at 25nms. Or maybe I'd stumble into inadvertent non-compliance by making a call at 12nms.
So they relay the info and advise you that there is a broadcast area 20nm to 8000'. And there it ends. It's a broadcast area in Class G airspace so you can't infringe it as you don't need a clearance.
Yep.
Unlikely to be any follow up unless you were in someones immediate way, which at 10nm is generally unlikely, or you already knew about from monitoring the most appropriate frequency on the way.
Very unlikely as I would have been monitoring CTAF from a looong way away, plus Area.

As you can see from the above, I'm just a dangerous antidisestablishmentarian weekend warrior and any non-compliance with the mandatory broadcast requirements would be entirely my fault and a consequence of my poor airmanship.