PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Port Hedland AFIS wind back
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2017, 14:20
Lead Balloon

Received 471 Likes on 238 Posts
[I]s the only chart in Ozrunways that depicts the Broadcast Area for YPPD the ERC?
Yes it is. So what? Too hard to click across to the ERC to see what is going on at YPPD (or many other places) for airspace, including shock horror the existence of a BA? Caution, there's a whole bunch of them in the NT!
Imagine I'm flying into YPPD for the first time in long time.

I'm looking at the lovely EFB composite chart that depicts all the topographical information, all of the ARFOR boundaries, all of the FIA boundaries, all of the CTA steps out of YPKA and associated Class E airspace (thus giving a gentle hint that there may be a tower at YPKA) and all of the PRDs on the Burrup Peninsula.

Why would I think anything other than those are the entirety of the boundaries of things with an associated mandatory requirement (subject of course to checking NOTAMS)?

Why would I think to check ERC rather than rely on the composite chart, when the point of the composite chart is precisely to avoid having to use multiple charts by displaying all of the important information on one composite chart?

All of you 'experts' can tsk tsk about airmanship this and ERSA and AIP the other thing all you like, but why is the trap there in the first place?

My overarching point in raising this particular issue was to suggest that maybe the reason for the anomaly is that, like me, the producers of the EFBs were blissfully unaware of the revival of the AFIZ/MBZ concept out in the various hearts of darkness. Group hug on a revival of the AFIZ/MBZ concept out there, plonk it on the charts and in AIP and the job's done. After all, all of the 'locals' know about it. No further flow-on effects.

But I'm just a dangerous antidisestablishmentarian weekend warrior.