PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2017, 08:17
Jumbo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well written RexBanner, as a fellow SH'er who joined from a different Northern UK airline. I fully agree with your writeup. I do more hours then yourself (around 800ish), but they are the result of a lot of high credit trips/days to maximise my days off.
If I have to compare my life with the other airline I used to work for before I joined. BA is a walk in the park, so much control about ones roster, the roster stability which is just amazing (0 roster changes since joining compared to 92% roster disruption a month (early to late or visa versa a day before the duty resulting in not being able to plan anything on a working day) at the previous when I worked there) and being treated like a professional instead of a cost.

But having said that I guess everybody is different. At my previous lot people living local to the bases thought it was the best job they could wish for, working hard in the summer but only doing standbys in the winter. I for one prefer the BA system were the work is distributed more evenly over the year, you do a block of 21 reserve/stby days a year and you control your own rooster which as you say rather often results in big blocks of off days (sometimes with the help of a PBW) on which you can explore the world with staff travel. At the same time you always get as Wiggy says, a (luckily only a very) few who seem to generate a lot of "negative waves" like Amigo South who aren't happy about things, however there is a reason they joined and to often the reason is they weren't happy about their previous airline either.

Last edited by Jumbo2; 6th Apr 2017 at 08:33.