PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Interview Change?
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2017, 03:43
McNugget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JayTee777300
I agree entirely with your point, and it's pretty much the point I am trying to make. It's not an easy thing. It's not for the feint of heart. New joiners need to look at this stuff seriously and consider all aspects of this gig. Don't just see the shiny jet and $... Even if it is better than your current job, think about where you would be in 5 and in 10yrs. This job at Cathay can affect so much more... And not all positively.

I'm just here trying to share some truths I wish I had of found out before I signed up (not saying I wouldn't have signed even if I did know... And I'm sure plenty of info was out there but I was too dumb to see it). Whilst my tone might at times indicate a bias, I think you'll find my comments to be mostly factual and fair.
Can't disagree with any of that. Like I said, I knew what I was getting in to. For those that didn't apply due diligence; I don't feel sorry for them, but regret the outcome.

Like every job, you need to weigh it up, and you need to have an idea of where to turn if it isn't working out.

For me, it was a better job. It wasn't (and isn't) a lifetime commitment. I weighed up the negative effects of moving (and potentially moving back) against the positives. I did a great deal of research about what I was getting in to, and as such, I've had no surprises. It wasn't about the shiny jet for the shiny jet's sake. The training, type rating and type of operations factored in to my decision - as you say - where will it put you in 5-10 years time? Well, to be blunt, it has put me in a more marketable position than had I not joined. That gives me more places to turn if it falls apart for me.

For me, if it all folds tomorrow, it's been worth it. For some, it hasn't. That's all I can say. Remember that 'worth it' is different to 'perfect'.