PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unhappy travellers let fly at Qantas
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2003, 09:40
Mr Seatback 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nike - was that response meant to be in response to my post?

Got lost trying to read your post - somewhat lacking in punctuation.

If it was - and I'm assuming it is - my response is as follows:

* What do you think Continental Airlines was classed as before Gordon Bethune's appointment as CEO? I can tell you this - the staff were WORSE than QF's and so was the operation. Read the book and I think you'll find very clear comparisons between the two!

* QF has it's faults, as well as grumpy staff - never said that it didn't. But look deeper and you may find the reasons behind these faults. Nothing is black and white in this industry, least of all QF. Demotivation, complacency, etc. are all endemic in an industry that is trying to pick itself up from what has been a terrible two years...a frequent one that I see at airports is under-resourced staff (all fair and well telling people to do a good days work - bit difficult if you don't give them the equipment/staff to do it properly!)

* I don't work for QF directly, but for a subsidiary. Either way, we're all tarred with the same brush aren't we, as all the other QF employees who do a great job? The compliments QF receive are a 3:1 ratio to complaints. If QF was as bad as it's been stated here, why then would we receive compliments? Sure, improvements can be made - but give them the chance to take effect.

* Sometimes the facade of keeping your 'chin up' slips. I didn't realise QF staff weren't meant to be human. Professional yes, but emotion/human nature is known to override professionalism on occasion. Qantas is not alone in this.

* I think you will find that the staff are more than willing to receive feedback. I believe strongly that it is in the upper echelons where you will find a distinct set of 'blinkers' to passenger feedback.

* Nike - have you ever worked for a company where your ideas are not listened to? Ideas that may improve customer service (at a cost, mind you)? Where everything you do is tied to costs at the end of the day - not the customer? Where your company waits for someone else to come up with better passenger services before they do anything (PTV's in Y class anyone - how LONG did it take for QF to install these?)

Qantas is a reactionary carrier - always has been, always will be. It's all fair and well being cost-conscious, but when it impacts on the customer (ie. recent changes to frequent flier system), who wears the wrath of the customer?

The staff. And no, it's not their job to be blamed for things way beyond their control (ie. changes in upgrade policy, etc).

Nike, if passengers yelled at you every day, every shift, I'm sure you wouldn't be a bundle of smiles either.

I suggest criticism should be aimed at the Geoff Dixon end of the spectrum - he who holds the purse strings and prevents innovation from entering his airline in any way, shape or form (well, until a competitor comes up with a market share winner - then we'll do it!)