PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew emergency escape parachute during ATPL, why NOT
Old 5th Apr 2017, 02:45
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is a bit of a tabu, a sensitive topic for GA pilots but maybe we should start leaving our ego on the ground and start wearing one.
It's probably perceived as a taboo, as this is a pilot's forum, and the pilot's role is to fly the 'plane - 'till it's safely stopped on the ground again. I commit to fly the plane, until flying it is no longer required, I won't give up when things get tough.

My commitment to flying the plane will include not doing dumb things in the plane which create an unsafe situation. So, I won't need to get out. I was required by policy to wear a parachute while flying jumpers, not because of the risk I could not fly the 'plane, but rather the risk that a jumper would hit the 'plane, and render it unflyable. I think it has happened, though often at an altitude from which a successful parachute descent was improbable anyway.

In the case of the risk of mid air collision, if the collision has been so severe to create an opening in the aircraft through which you might exit, you died, forget it.

If you would like to be a well accepted participant in GA toward ATPL flying, always fly alert for traffic, don't bung up an aircraft during aerobatics, and generally commit to being a pilot with everything you have. If you change to a piloting role, where the aircraft is normally equipped with a parachute, and egress means, then you're in that world, and you should fly that way.

If I saw a pilot walking toward one of my 'planes carrying a parachute, they suddenly would not be going flying in my plane. They are not demonstrating confidence in the safety of GA flying, so I'm not confident in them....