PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asking for Basic Service vs Listening Squawk?
Old 4th Apr 2017, 18:27
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There seem to be some pilots who think that just because they are talking to somebody on the radio whilst in Class G airspace they have the same level of protection as traffic flying under IFR within controlled airspace.

This is emphatically not the case. When teaching early students I joke that the "G" stands for "Jungle" Airspace. Any airspace users can be there and if even if they have a radio and/or transponder they are not legally obliged to use it. (Of course it certainly makes sense to have the transponder switched on with mode C but from time to time pilots omit to do so).

In Class G airspace the pilot decides who he wants to "work" on the radio, if anyone.

If it's a gin clear day, assuming I'm remaining clear of controlled airspace, MATZ, ATZ, RMZ etc., I'm happy to fly with a listening squawk if available or even (shock, horror!) operate non radio. Irrespective I will be maintaining a lookout and making my aircraft as conspicuous as possible and even plan the flight to avoid choke points when possible.

In conditions of reduced visibility or indeed flying in cloud then I will seek out a traffic service if available but I'm aware that even radar has limitations.