PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dash8 crash in NZ
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2003, 06:15
Eurocap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The crew member who died was the cabin attendant who was out of her seat at the time of impact.

I cant remember how many passengers died; I think it was 4, one who died of burns later who had successfully evacuated but then went back into the aircraft to rescue others and was caught in a flash fire; a real hero.

CRM was lacking , but there was more to that accident than just CRM, as there usually is in most accidents.

Both flight crew members were low time in their respective positions.

The weather, for those Australians that don't understand the terrain problems in NZ, was also a major factor in causing the aircraft to descend below the approach profile.
The aircraft started the approach on the leeward side of a range of hills and had to cross the range to the missed approach point.
This approach was only used when westerlies winds were blowing and when strong as they were that day caused a lot of wind shear and turbulence on the leeward side.

The most important fact was that the aircraft had a landing gear malfunction which the crew were trying to deal with and the number one rule with a malfunction "fly the aircraft" was forgotten as the FP was trying to help the NFP with the checklist for this malfunction and not concentrating on the approach.

Why the Capt did not carry out a missed approach and then sort out the problem I guess only he will know.

Always bear in mind that incidents/accidents always have multiple causal factors.