PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew emergency escape parachute during ATPL, why NOT
Old 3rd Apr 2017, 17:09
B2N2

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Thirdly, too many will give up, try and bail out and die
That's got to be a frontrunner for the dumbest argument.
Excatly the reason why WW1 English pilots weren't issued parachutes at it would lead to unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Anyway....why no 'chutes while trotting around in your bugsmasher?
  • Seat are not built for it (unless its an aero airplane)
  • No jettisonable doors or canopy (unless its an aero airplane)

Try getting out of a Pa28 () on the ground and stopped in a hurry.
Especially with a pax on the side with the only door..it's not happening.
Realistically you have to stop somewhere with your what-if scenario as truthfully you wouldn't even fly in a 4 engined jet with triple redundancy if you play the what-if game long enough.

I personally know people (me included) that will not fly a SE piston aircraft at night.
Reason being I don't have to anymore, but I have 400+ hrs SE piston night.
Neither will I fly a SE piston over water out of glide range.
Reason being, I don't have to anymore, but I have on 100+ occassions in the past.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do but you don't fly a SE piston GA tourer in a Nomex fire retardent suit with a helmet and a parachute.
Why not?
Because the risk analysis doesn' t warrant it.

To each his own but if you are this concerned you need to consider another hobby as you may be overdoing it.
Or only fly a Cirrus or anything else with a ballistic parachute recovery system.
If I had any say in our esteemed Regulating body I would make BRS mandatory in non turbine powered small aircraft.
But even those can't fix stupid.

* As an afterthough as we just had a fatal mid-air here in Florida, the chances of living through the initial impact are slim. Even a collision between two (very) slow aircraft like C150's will give you an impact at 90+mph which in something that flimsy will be instantly fatal.

Last edited by B2N2; 3rd Apr 2017 at 17:20.