PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew emergency escape parachute during ATPL, why NOT
Old 2nd Apr 2017, 12:58
flying free.LEVC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aircrew emergency escape parachute during ATPL, why NOT

Hi guys, I know this is a bit of a tabu, a sensitive topic for GA pilots but maybe we should start leaving our ego on the ground and start wearing one.

Glider and aerobatic pilots use one, they say itīs due to the higher risk of collision (gliders) or structural failure (aerobatics) and honestly, Iīve been flying in the UK near busy GA airports and the risk of mid-air collision is THERE.

Most instructors will say that itīs extremely rare to need one, but I would rather have my back covered than limiting my chances in a catastrophic (but unlikely) situation.

There are plenty of recent examples (some of them on youtube) where pilot lives have been saved, or could have been saved with a parachute, mid air collision with another plane where you are likely to lose half wing or the empenage, engine fire, engine failure during night flying...I can think of a few situations where jumping off would be safer than staying inside the old piper or cessna 152 with no options left.

I know they are expensive (asking price of 1600 pounds), but gliders do, aerobatics do...even new planes are being built with one incorporatedĄ