PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FI pre course requirements - cross country
Old 31st Mar 2017, 08:24
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Otherwise some airliner magenta line minder might include 300nm and 2 landings of little more than watching the auto flight system...
But considering the relevance of the requirement compared with the intended qualification, that may be of more use. Very few pilots will be using VFR navigation techniques in their professional career. You have to ask if it's relevant anymore, which of is the principle behind the MPL. For all it's faults, it has cut out some of the useless licencing requirements for those not intending to use them.

But if I had a CPL I wouldn't need it!
One would think so. However, when I was applying for my ATPL (converting from military qualifications while current on a heavy jet), the CAA decided I had to show that I had done the VFR cross-country flight as PIC, including a flight of at least 300 NM in the course of which full stop landings at 2 different aerodromes. Although I had lots of flights of over 300 NM and lots of three sector days, none fulfilled the two different aerodromes requirement. I had to trawl through my logbook to find a trip in a Chipmunk to France which covered it. But I was the Captain on a 4 engine heavy jet crossing the Atlantic a few days earlier!