PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing Twin Squirrel: Wales/Ireland
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2017, 18:53
helicrazi

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by whoknows idont
Maybe more obvious: Why would they not have thought 'Hang on the weather looks a bit sh*t, lets hop on a Ryanair instead of through the mountains'? Or maybe charter a bizjet if they don't want to wait in line to sit with the peasants? After all they wanted to fly from Luton to Dublin! Both parents fly their helicopter into questionable weather without the need to do so, children sitting at home. These are the kind of decisions I don't understand.

Im pretty sure they didn't sit there and think, hmm the weather is cr@p lets go for it and try not hit anything on the way.

I think the issue is the level of knowledge of a PPL and the misunderstanding or lack of comprehension of the risks involved in IMC flight above or below MEA (obviously not advocating flight below MEA IMC!), especially without an IR. Even if they have done the whole '5 minutes of inadvertent fight into IMC' on the PPL LST.

I've been the PPL, I can appreciate the knowledge gap and the feeling that it will be ok, what can go wrong, ive got my garmin! It really wont be ok... there's a lot to learn.

RIP guys, a sad loss.