PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best route after University - flight training
Old 30th Mar 2017, 18:04
utd4life12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best route after University - flight training

Hello all,

I am coming to the end of my degree, in which I will (hopefully!) finish University towards the end of May with a LLB Law Degree. My ultimate aim, and always has been, to become a commercial Airline pilot. The reason for the degree, is at the time of leaving college, having spoken to people in the industry, they said that a degree was a sensible idea as something to fall back on, if flying for whatever reason doesn't work out.

I have made up my mind that I want to do my training modular, mainly due to the money you save compared to integrated. I was recently at a 738 sim run by a Ryanair FO, and I'd mentioned to him I was looking at going into Cabin Crew after University, as I know this is a job that although is challenging is something I would enjoy, and would be working in an environment I love. He said this was a good idea, as it is a good way to get myself into the industry and get my face known, building useful contacts in the process.

However, having had time to think this through, I realise that at best, i'm going to be earning around £15,000 basic salary as cabin crew, or even less depending on who I got a job with. I know that this would cover a PPL, but after that it isn't going to be enough...

So my questions are as follows:

- Would working as cabin crew be at all achievable to do the modular route? or;

- Should I look for a better paid job that is still in the industry, such as ops for example of flight planning? Even though it would mean working in an office environment rather than on board an aircraft?

- Would I be best starting my PPL straight away and doing a 'pay as you go' type training, or saving up a substantial amount of money first?

Many thanks guys, I'm new to the forum and just looking for some help pointing me in the right direction, as before I know it I'll be graduating from Uni. I was recently offered an interview with Jet2 as cabin crew, but the training starts before I finish Uni so my application had to be withdrawn, so I'm not sure what opportunities would be around the end of May, if that is something I was to consider.