PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Farnborough Airport.
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2003, 05:41
AlanM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slot problem at Farnborough?

Not sure what is meant here - do you mean runway slots or en-route slot times?

During my time at Farnborough, we had often to deal with poor slots and missed slots due to pax faffing. We used to phone the CFMU direct and get additional 5 or 10 minutes for aircraft without any problems. Not sure much has changed since.

Only "problem" with Biggin Hill is the often high number of GA aircraft in the circuit which can lead to delays. Also only one ILS on 21 - if 03 in use (like today) means a visual manouvre due to the proximity of Gatwick.

Only other thing to compare is costs and the service given. TAG are expensive I am told, but you do get a very good VIP service. They have new hangars and a new terminal being built.

As for the hours of operation - as said you have to pay to extend. Also the times are set by byelaws so you cannot land at 2201Hrs BY LAW!

Any ATC comparisons on Biggin or Farnborough PM me.

You can fly in a heli from Farnborough to London Battersea Helicopter (very near Chelsea) in about 12 minutes. A few heli companies based at the two local GA fields to Farnborough..... if your people are feeling flush!

There are a lot of operators from the Arabic regions who are regulars. The Dubai BBJ and Sharjah A319CJ seem to spend a lot of time there.

Last edited by AlanM; 12th Sep 2003 at 16:53.