PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newly minted PPL out of Archerfield
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2017, 02:07
Acrosport II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can certainly understand where you are coming from.

I learnt to fly at an Aero Club, back in the days when they were a social place as well as flight training. You used to wander out there on the weekend and there was always a few there. I go back to my home town and they are still doing the same, although due cost the numbers are low.
They make a plan to visit an airstrip, fly to an event, etc as a group, have a beer when they get back.

I'm now with an Aero Club with no planes, no training and until recently, no Clubhouse.
The new Clubhouse only opens for meetings. There's no social side to it although there may be 200+ members. (Aircraft and Hangar owners must be members).

So there is no where to meet up (and then decide to fly to a nearby field together etc.)

A real shame.

Your best bet is Buy into a LSA Syndicate. I'm in one myself and its the cheapest flying you will get if planning on doing a few hours a year.

Some syndicates require a minimum number of hours.

If you only plan on doing a few hours a year, hiring an aircraft would be best.

Unfortunately because of the present 600KG limit, LSA aren't quite the same as slightly heavier built GA aircraft (C172), but its a price you have to pay for lower cost flying ($300 per hour for a C172).

There are LSA aircraft available in Syndicates at the present time in the Brisbane area.