PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newly minted PPL out of Archerfield
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2017, 00:07
Possum1

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Congratulations.

1. For a newly-minted PPL, there are pleasant little challenges of flying in the benign morning conditions in SEQ by going to the local breakfasts, namely the Straddie Fly-in Breakfast(Dunwich), Watts for Breakfast(Watts Bridge) and for a bit more of a challenge(and expense), Angelfield Fly-in Breakfast up at Murgon. There are plenty of pilots who fly to these airfields solo and have a good time meeting people there. Details at aeroclub.com.au.

As a new pilot you need flying and navigational practice by yourself without the distraction of passengers or jockeying for position in a swarm all following the lead plane i.e. the one who can navigate and is actually following a flight plan!

2. Find or have an aviation-minded wife/partner who has a job and who will willingly pay half the costs.

3. Buy a cheap rental property in an attractive nearby country town(with runway), which will rent out at $500/week(no, I'm not saying where!) and when it is occasionally vacant, fly there to do some maintenance on your property and claim the flying costs to this destination on your taxable income(negative gearing).

A few years down the track, when you have enough equity in your loan on this property, have it revalued and borrow the required amount to purchase your first plane - I would recommend very basic entry level GA no older than the 1970s.

4. If you live near Archerfield, stay there and suffer the higher costs. The distances some pilots are driving to their pride and joy parked at other airports are ridiculous. We live 10 minutes drive from YBAF and are prepared to put up with the higher costs for the convenience(for now).

If you live on the Northside, Caboolture or Redcliffe are the way to go. For a new pilot, the more benign into-wind runways at YCAB might be better as, having learnt at YBAF, you won't have a lot of cross-wind landing/take-off experience that is required often at YRED.

Last edited by Possum1; 16th Mar 2017 at 00:35.