PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating on Australian License from Asia. How does that work
Old 15th Mar 2017, 13:51
ComradeRoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PPSS
Does it mean that the school in Thailand needs to have an approval from any one of the recognised states not necessarily be in an recognised state itself?
I'm afraid, this is open to interpretation as they keep changing the wording of AC60-2 and Form 61-4CT. I did my TR in 2014 and at that time location didn't matter.
Current version of form 61-4CT states:
1. Please note that CASA can only accept type ratings, either on the basis of training and flight assessment completed overseas by an organisation in a recognised state or on recognition of an overseas licence, that are considered equivalent to the Australian type rating.
2. Flight simulators must be qualified under Part 60 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations, or in the case of a foreign flight simulator, it must be qualified by their relevant over-sighting National Aviation Authority (NAA). A list of NAAs that are currently recognised by CASA are outlined in AC 60-2.

On the other hand, CASA seems to be ok with ATO having EASA approval for as long as their TRE has approval from listed countries. This is something to confirm with them beforehand.
In regards to AATC. Looking at their website, it seems that they have EASA ATO approval as well as approvals for their sims. That's good. So 2 questions still remain: Does their examiner have that approval and will it fly with CASA?

Australian airline sponsored AATC cadets may have their skill test done by airline TREs, so perhaps they fall under a different set of rules. Not sure about that one. Since you will be sponsored by other than Australian airline - you'll be assessed by CASA as a private person.

Comrade