PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 15th Mar 2017, 12:54
JDB275

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modular Vs Integrated Vs money

Hello,
First of all i am looking for advice from the people in this forum who have actual experience in this area and have gone through process' similar to the ones i plan on going through.

I am currently finishing an aerospace engineering Beng degree from Sheffield university (finishing modules from home in south wales), initially i had read a lot about the integrated courses that CTC/OAA and FTE offer and i was sure that was the route i wanted to take to get into the left seat as quickly as possible with the most prestigious school. But now i know there is no way i could take a loan out and secure it against a house. I would like to fund it off my own back. Funding it myself there is no way i could afford the £80000 price tag most major integrated UK routes cost.

Im now looking into modular training with various different flying schools and i was hoping to get some advice on the best route to take. I want to learn in the UK, in order to afford the fee's of modular training im going to have to get some sort of job probably in engineering. However the cost of modular training in the UK is still around £40-50k so im guessing its going to take me absolutely ages with say a 20k graduate job. Also ive heard sponsorships are very few and far between so i cant bank on that.

As im currently living in south wales with family i dont have any living costs which i was hoping to use to my advantage and maybe save to get my PPL with Aeros based in Cardiff (if anyone can vouch for them?).

Still i have no idea which FTO i would choose for ATPL theory exams. Or who i would choose for ME CPL/IR/MCC/ JOC. Ive looked into schemes like CTC takeoff and OAA Waypoint but they're way to expensive. Ive also been looking into FTE integreated flight deck programme based in spain however even thats £63k.

Another thing i was worried about is how long the modular route is going to take, given that i will have a full time job, im not sure how much of the training you can actually do part time. Or would it be better to get the PPL (10K) whilst working full time and then save save save untill i could afford the £40-50k for the ATPL theory/ME CPL/IR/MCC/ JOC. Or would it be better to get a loan for the ME CPL/IR/MCC/ JOC part and pay that back later on somehow.

Would appreciate some advice, thanks.