PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager Plummets (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2017, 10:52
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
In a comparison, running a war canoe into the ground seems invariably to end in a CM, a Rep or Severe Rep, loss of seniority, dismal from ship etc.

In this case is the system breaking entirely new ground.
Further to my last post, I have to reiterate there is nothing new in courts martial of captains involved in flying (or indeed taxying) accidents.

Another case I remember was a Twin Pin pilot at Seletar who suddenly lost both engines at low level over the South China Sea and rapidly found himself in the oggin. The board decided he had cocked up his fuel switches and it was decided to court martial him (again possibly because he refused to accept summary punishment from the C in C). He engaged a clever civvy lawyer who managed to convince the court that there was a possible (but highly unlikely) technical fault which could result in simultaneous engine failures, and he was found not guilty, probably on the direction of the JAG bloke.

Everyone knew the guy had cocked up, and he as good as admitted it towards the end of the celebratory p**s up in the bar afterwards. The fact that he had dived into the sinking aircraft and rescued his nav who had got trapped went a long way to everyone thinking that it was a good result all round.