PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2017, 11:32
ATNotts

Received 286 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by long_final
But the £ to € has been negatively affected, which doesn't seem to have put people off, especially when we consider the international increase. I suppose the All Inclusive types who never leave the hotel/take any Euros with them will be oblivious though.
It does seem odd that an airport that's had near enough zero growth or expansion since the start of recession around 07-08 is off to such a flying start to the year. Surely it can't all be down to FR.
Your average Joe doesn't have a clue on the value of sterling against anything when they book their trip, which many of them will have done 6 - 12 months ago. They only find out the exchange rate when they buy their Euros, or look at the credit card bill when they get home.

It's not so much the here and now airports and operators need to worry about, it's potentially this summer; but more likely winter 2017/8 and summer 2018, as whatever sterling is doing then, and it might indeed be doing very well (is that a formation of flying pigs I've just seen?) some people may base their holiday plans on how hard an unexpected hit they took on their wallets this year. Forward bookings to the USA suggest people are already doing this, but I imagine there's a certain "Trump factor" in play there too.

That horrendous word "staycation" will I expect rear it's ugly head in the media later this year.