PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager Plummets (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2017, 07:46
safetypee

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Chugalug2, #919. As you say,
Again I would not disagree that the core of the discussion relates to a default retributive culture and the apparent excessive sentence. However in order to understand this, clarify the arguments, and fairly conclude, I strongly believe that it is necessary to consider alternative viewpoints and understand as able the background theories - even if they their academic origin is not in keeping with (mil) aviation practice.

Another reference below indicates that we are our own worst enemy (including me).
Look beyond the title and academic presentation; consider the role and behaviour of organisational leadership, teams, and individuals.
I do not contribute to the particular blog, nor like the academic approach, but occasionally alternative views shake up the grey cells, which in this case would agree with your conclusions, but perhaps with alternative evidence and understanding.

"... many teams struggle to admit mistakes and bring up challenging and often disconfirming information. While people loathe appearing ignorant, incompetent, intrusive and negative, the very nature of hierarchy within organisations makes it difficult to speak up. Typically, lower status members will feel less safe than higher status members in taking interpersonal risks and voicing concerns. Additionally, leaders who seek confirmation of their own ideas, unwittingly inhibit voice in lower status members of the group. Thus, the pervasive effects of status and power (particularly on subordinates) mixed with an individual’s inherent sense of self-preservation heighten the interpersonal risks of speaking up."
http://www.safetydifferently.com/mak...ogical-safety/. 4th para onwards.

There may be more benefit in encouraging the organisation and leadership to consider alternative views opposed to just blaming them, even though it is self satisfying.

P. S. on reflection there is a need for an aviation practice version of the above; perhaps this is the basis of the thread; but would the organisation management and leaders read, understand, ...