PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager Plummets (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2017, 06:57
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Airbubba, I used the colloquial "dishonourable discharge" to emphasise the effect of the criminal conviction of a suspended prison sentence that went with it. I'm not a lawyer, and Military Law seems to have changed its terminology in the same way as everything else since I served. Whether his dismissal was with or without disgrace I don't know. Can you be without disgrace with a suspended prison sentence?

The fact that this officer was tried by Court Martial at all is a bad signal for all UK military aircrew, when past precedent would have seen him dealt with summarily (by his AOC or CinC?), perhaps fined, lose seniority, but be retained in the Service. If the RAF thought him to have lied to it, then it would seem that it was greatly in error. If he was tried because of the costs that he caused then, as has been pointed out, causing the total loss of an F35 will be a very serious offence, no matter the details. If he was tried to assuage inter-Service politics then that is a comment on the RAF leadership rather than of him. Or perhaps there was another reason?