PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I wrong about all this? Please help!
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2002, 18:36
tonyko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for the advice, either those who think I'm right, or wrong, I take all the postings as something I'd learn, and to think about in other aspects.

Mabe I'm not making myself clear, or it could be just too detailed in my first posting. But, CRM in this case, was not my main concern, although the issue exists. Believe me, I've gone through the good old days of 'slapping, shouting, yelling and insulting', among other things you might not even have heard, in the beginning of my flying days as a line pilot here in my country. I guess if a captain treats me like a monkey, I certainly can live with it. If I've survived through gunshots, I wouldn't care about paper cuts.

My points were, and still are, the decision making process and the safety concept.

First of all, I know that in the QRH, or whatever approved manual, leaves certain safety margin. And the logic of FMC, is simply 'garbage in, garbage out', and it has limited ability. That, I understand.

But with my limited knowledge, I truely believe that whatever we do, there should be something to back us up.

For instance, if tower controller asked me whether we can accept intersection takeoff, can I just accept it simply based on my 'experience'? Or do I have to check with the RAM in order to have hard proof evidence? I respect experience from anyone, but please prove it instead of acting on split second instinct.

What would anyone say about a pilot taking off without checking with loadsheet? Can any pilot in this world, simply have all the passengers and luggages and cargo containers, to form in one line, and with 'experience', guess the weight? I know this is a bit too extreme, but you get the idea.

Can we simply act and decide when you have no idea what kind of FL you can accept? Not even before you check the QRH and the FMC? That, was my point.

Like I've mentioned, it's my first safety report, ever, against anyone. I have no intention to have someone being punished or receiving demerits. I don't tell on people simply because I don't like him nor his attitude.

The 'good old days of slapping, yelling and shouting' are over, CRM has been implimented, but of course, like anything else in this world, there's always room for improvement, I accept that, therefore, the attitude or CRM process of this captain, wasn't much of my concern.

My concern was, under flight safety concept, how the(or any) decision is made, unless I have the wrong idea about safety.

Although I'm not anti-autority, acting solely upon experience, accpting FLs which you don't even know, changing your CG without any calculation, is just not right.

I'm NOT trying to seek advice on whether I should fight back or not, instead, I'm just trying to find out my stand point, despite whether I'm being to paranoid or not, I'd like to know if my idea of safety was correct.

Because appearantly, the company thinks the captain is at no fault, and it was me, who needs to be adviced of 'correct concept'. Which simply means that in normal operations, it's ok that we can fly within yellow band without a good reason, and we can act solely upon experience to accept FLs, when we have no idea about the limits.

It takes me all the way back when I was 10, during my first day at school in the United States, trying to figure out what the teacher or classmates were trying to tell me, when my English ability at that time, was 0.

I really appreciate all your postings, no matter what, they help me to think in different aspects. Any further discussion and/or advices, is greatly welcomed.

Thank you again.

Tony