PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing on common land / national parks in UK
Old 9th Mar 2017, 14:16
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe in the UK we have a very liberal approach. Observe the RoA, seek exemptions or permission if required and land with the landowners permission. Common curtesy and common sense really.

However, I was doing a HEMS task one day in Cumbria and got interviewed at the landing site by Customs who asked lots of questions that I declined to answer referring them to the Office wallahs instead. Two very scruffy oddballs who could not muster up an official ID card. They were quite insistent so I gave them my "Name, rank and Number".

A few days later I received a polite snottagram from some high ranking Desk Jockey in HMRC who laid out in quite strong language the full powers of a customs officer in such circumstances. Turns out they could have searched my ringpiece for narcotics right there at the HLS and some other invasive stuff as well. They could have detained me and seized the helicopter and probably burned my wallet as well.

The Desk Jockey pointed out that the only reason I did not get the full treatment was because it was a HEMS helicopter although he was keen to point out that this in itself provided no immunity.

I replied in a somewhat grovelling fashion (as my ringpiece is a one way street) but did tell him about the lack of ID. His response was that Customs officers did not have an ID nor any requirement to produce one. Although sorely tempted to reply with an indignant and incredulous response, my twitching ringpiece moderated me to a bland acceptance.

The funny thing is I have not really smuggled anything anywhere and not done anything illegal to the best of my knowledge. Still it loosened my bowels somewhat to realise that HMRC are powerful m****f****rs that I did not want sniffing around my ****!

One phrase stood out in his letter "most people are hiding something". I immediately went home and searched my wife's handbag but only found some boiled sweets and a lipstick.

Beware of the beast that is HMRC. (Damn I hope they don't read this.....(